The Dab

William Harbour, Reporter

The Dab is a dance move in which you simultaneously drop the head and and raise an arm and elbow in a gesture that resembles a sneeze. The Dab first became popular when NFL player Cam Newton dabbed after he scored a touchdown on January 24, 2016 at the Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina against the Cowboys. He dabbed as a part of his touchdown celebration. The dance move soon became more popular and went viral on the internet. The band Migos, made a song about the Dab called “Look At My Dab”. Also many popular YouTube personalities such as Dude Perfect, How Ridiculous, Ali-A, Brodie Smith, and Markiplier Dabbed in a few of their videos.

Historically, The Dab was considered a war type dance among individuals in 1980’s neighborhoods.  Mrs. Reynolds, a teacher on campus, often dabbed with her friends in the late 1980’s.  “Dabbing was a way to fend off violent enemies from rival blocks,” Mrs. Reynolds explained.  In 1988, Mrs. Reynolds was featured in the documentary, “Dabbing to Defend the People.”  She has also been the Keynote speaker at numerous events including, “How Dabbing Can Save You From Abomination.” If you’re curious on how to dab correctly, make sure to seek her out and ask her about her technique!